Tuesday, July 5, 2011

LEARNING TO TYPE AT 70

Here I am at the tender age of 70.  My high school, undergraduate and graduate college years all behind me.  I should have learned to touch-type long ago, but never did. 

"Where your papers handwritten?"

That is a question many might be wondering.  Or not.

I hunt-and-pecked my way through all of my college years.  Oh, it took me hours upon hours to finish a paper.  My graduate thesis was typed by a professional typist.  I figured that was worth paying someone to do for me.

Fifteen to twenty words per minute was my fastest in younger days.

I am a pianist, a piano teacher.  One might think it would be simple for me to learn touch-typing.  It isn't.  The most difficult thing for me to do is keeping my eyes on the text, not looking down at the keyboard. 

Playing the piano is pretty easy for me.  But then my piano lessons began at seven.  There are many years between seven and seventy.  So I have many hours of practice under my belt.

It won't be easy but I am going to learn how to fo it.  I am very determined,

My husband is a very fast typist.  In the Army, he served a general as his stenographer.  His daughter,my step-daughter, is a cracker-jack typist as well.     She is really speedy.  They both intimidate me when it comes to typing.

"You have to spend an hour a day for six months," my husband told me. 

Well, I started just two days ago, I have not had much practice so far.  I will keep you posted how it is progressing...I am optimistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment